Baby swings are so great especially in the few months of baby’s life. Babies love the rocking and swinging motion so they will nap in the swing easier. They also have soothing and calming music/sounds to rock the baby to sleep.
Don’t spend too much money on a fancy or expensive swing, some babies won’t like it. All babies are different so start with a compact portable swing first and see how baby reacts to it.
Honestly, babies will outgrow a swing pretty quickly, as early as 4 months when they are able to roll over. They wouldn’t want to be strapped in one place anymore.
“This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link. Please see my disclosure for more details.”
The Top 7 Best Baby Swings
Fisher-Price My Little Snugabunny Cradle ‘n Swing– Best Design
- Two swinging motions to help soothe baby: Rock baby side-to-side like a cradle or swing head-to-toe like a traditional baby swing
- Six swing speeds, 16 songs, soothing nature sounds
- Two-position recline with 3 adjustable seat positions: right-facing, center, left-facing
- Easy to convert to different swing positions—just press button and turn
- Machine-washable seat cover with deluxe My Little Snugabunny body insert and bunny ears head support
Ingenuity Cozy Kingdom Portable Swing– Best Budget
- Tackle to dos while baby rests in comfort by your side
- Made in CHINA
- 6 extra quiet swing speed options
- Comfy fabrics and recline positions keep baby content
- Musical baby swing newborn will love
Graco Simple Sway Baby Swing | 2 Speed Vibration– Amazon’s Choice
- Plug in Option allows you to save money on batteries while using Your infant swing; Also Takes D Batteries, Care Excessive exposure to sun or heat could cause fading or warping of parts
- This baby swings Small frame Design fits in any room of Your Home so you can easily keep baby close wherever you are
- Gentle, side to side swaying motion soothes and comforts baby; 2 speed vibration to help keep Your baby calm and relaxed
- The deep, Plush seat with removable head Support keeps Your little one cozy and comfortable while in the baby swing
VASTFAFA Soothing Portable Swing– Amazon’s Choice
- 【Great Space】- Main body 4.9 * 22.8 * 22.8in, load resistance: 55lb, applicable object: 0-36 months for infants. saving size for home or travel l
- 【Ugrade Fuction】 -True Speed technology maintains 6 speeds even as baby grows ， so it is very convenient for children's growth and use. After the switch is turned on, the seat will automatically swing back and forth, which is a safe, secure and comfortable electric bouncing machine. There are 16 melodies in it. The melody is very comfortable. It's like a gentle shake held by the mother.
- 【Simple Design】-The 5-point safety belt can make the newborn use safely. It can be assembled quickly without any tools. Because the seat belt can be easily removed, it is convenient to hold the baby. The cushion and head cushion can be cleaned by washing machine and kept clean at any time
- 【Take good care of baby & Mum】 - Toy bar has 2 plush toys and removes for easy access to baby.Swing timer has three settings: 30, 45 and 60 minutes for mom's convenience.Comfort Recline 2 position seat recline to soothe or engage
- 【3-month guarantee】- Our products are guaranteed for 90 days. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or problems during the warranty period. We will try our best to satisfy you.
Graco DuetSoothe Baby Swing and Rocker– Amazon’s Choice
- 2 products in 1: Removable infant swing seat doubles as a rocker
- 3 seating positions so baby can sway side to side or swing front to back
- Rocker carry handle allows you to keep baby by your side
- Option to plug in or use batteries. Rocker is for babies from 5 1/2 to 30 lb. (birth to 18 months)
- Swing and rocker features vibration with two speed settings to keep baby relaxed
- 5 unique motions & speeds
- Bluetooth Enabled – control motion & sound
- 4 built in sounds & MP3 plug-in
- Smooth, woven nylon material
- Machine washable seat fabric
- Bring baby's favorite seat on-the-go with this small baby swing
- 2-in-1 design converts from swing to stationary seat
- Features 5 swing settings, automatic swinging and vibrating
- Quiet motor plus 12 melodies and 4 nature sounds for a soothing environment
- Plush seat pad and removable head rest are easy to clean. Foldable design lays flat for storage or travel
What is a Baby Swing and Why You Need One
A baby swing has a padded chair and is suspended on sturdy frames. The chair is able to move back and forth or side to side. It creates a rocking/swaying motion which babies love and reminds them of being inside the womb.
The baby swing can help calm a fussy baby with its rocking/swaying motion as well as its soothing sound/music. Not only does it keep baby happy, it saves mom and dad’s arms from holding and rocking baby the whole time.
Baby swings are lifesavers when it comes to a fussy baby as well as rock a baby to sleep. Baby being asleep gives parents a break for a few minutes to do other things around the house.
Be extra careful when baby does take a nap in a baby swing as their head is supported well and there isn’t any extra padding to obstruct their breathing. According to the Pediatrics, a journal for the American Academy of Pediatrics young infants shouldn’t use such sitting devices as a routine sleeping location.
Once baby is able to sit up and not fall over then baby is too old for most baby swings. Some babies are strong enough that they may wiggle themselves too much and can make the swing tip over.
The Different Types of Baby Swings
The battery operated ones provide for more portability which makes it easier to move from room to room or be used outside in the yard as well.
Batteries required are usually the more expensive C or D batteries and requires sometimes 3-4 batteries at a time. Rechargeable batteries are the best option for baby gear.
The best thing about the electrical powered ones are that you don’t need batteries for it. But you do need to stay close to a power source with the baby swing. Which in turns makes these less portable in some ways.
Full- size swings
These type of swings have the most bells and whistles to entertain your baby. It does take up lots of space but when it comes to calming your fussy baby it won’t matter.
Battery operated so you can move or take anywhere you like as long as the battery is full. Using rechargeable batteries will be the best option for long lasting entertainment for your baby. Also, saves money on having to replace the C or D batteries regularly.
These combine either a bouncer, rocker, glider, or cradle with the swing. They are designed to be compact and convenient. They are battery operated as well as have low noise.
These combines the bouncer and swing motion that babies love. The bouncing motion or swinging motion can keep baby entertained for a while especially if you turn on the music or vibration option.
What better combination than a swing and rocker in one? This would definitely rock your fussy baby to sleep in no time with its swinging/rocking motion.
The combination of gliding and swinging is another motion that would soothe your fussy baby in minutes. Similar to the rocking chair motion, it will rock your sweet baby to sleep.
Similar to the motion of cradling your sweet baby in your arms, the cradle swing can imitate. It will hug your baby and swing gently so your baby feels relaxed.
Benefits of Using a Baby Swing
- Calms fussy baby– anything that can calm a fussy baby is a parent’s best friend. The many different swaying motions and soothing sounds it has will help calm a fussy baby mimicking the motion in the womb.
- Gives parents a break– even if it’s just for 10-15 minutes, it’s enough time to go use the bathroom or grab a bite to eat while baby is happily swinging away. Any baby gear that can keep baby entertained and safe for a few minutes and gives parents a break is a awesome device. Also, gives parent’s arms a break from carrying or rocking baby.
- Great for newborns– they are still getting to know the world from the outside and baby swings can mimic the swaying motion that they are use to inside the womb. With the added features of white noise that some swings have can create the environment that babies feel most comfortable with.
- Great for colicky newborns– vibration module on the swing can calm colicky babies. The swaying motion mimics parents rocking baby in arms so parents can get a break.
- Great for napping– the swaying and rocking motion will easily put your baby to sleep. Which in turns gives the parents some time to do get some housework done while baby is napping. Sometimes, babies will nap even longer while the swing is in motion.
Things to Look for in a Good Baby Swing
Consider what style of swing do you want
Basic, swinging and rocking, swing and bouncer, or the more fancy one with swinging and rocking with Bluetooth capacity.
Battery operated so that it is also portable and ideal for small space and travel, plug in to wall swings that may be huge but comes with many options to entertain your baby.
Speed and motion
The basic swing will only have one speed while some other ones have multiple speed options, swinging side to side or from head to toe.
The 5 point safety harness system is safer than the 3 point safety system, make sure your baby will be safe and comfortable in the swing you decide for baby.
Structure of swing
The swing structure is sturdy and baby won’t tip over in any way.
Choose one that has an attached pillow so that baby doesn’t pull pillow over their face. Also, the positioning of head isn’t upright so that baby’s head has enough suport.
Removable seat cushion and padding so you can machine wash easily. Babies will most likely spit up or drool on padding. They may also have a diaper explosion while laying in the swing and you want it to be able to wash it easily.
Conclusion of Best Baby Swings
Baby swings are a baby’s as well as parent’s new best friend. It soothes and gives baby some familiar womb-like motion that rocks them to sleep.
It gives parents a little break to sit down for a few minutes without carrying and rocking the whole time.
I recommend getting the Ingenuity ConvertMe Swing-2-Seat Nash Battery-Saving Portable Swing if you have a small place or just don’t want a bulky baby swing.
But if you have a big place and don’t mind another big baby item then I recommend getting the Graco DuetSoothe Baby Swing and Rocker.